Charles Dickens/Victorian England/A Christmas Carol Webquest Project
Complete this Webquest by the end of class on Wed. as your A Christmas Carol Project (double summative grade)
A. Child Labor in Victorian England: http://www.victorianweb.org/history/hist8.html
1) In 1840 in London, what percentage of children went to school?
2) How many hours would children work (there are a few answers)?
3) At what age did children start to work in iron and coal mines?
B. Charles Dickens: www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/olivertwist/dickens_timeline_text.html andhttp://charlesdickenspage.com
1) When and where was he born?
2) Why didn't he go to school at the age of ten?
3) What happened to his father in 1824 and why?
4) Where did Dickens work then?
5) How many children did he have?
6) When and how did he die ?
7) List two fiction novels he wrote:
8) List two non-fiction books he wrote:
9) Looking over Dickens’ biography, what are two events/people that relate to what he wrote in A Christmas Carol?
1) How did Dickens feel about Christmas?
2) How were his Christmases as a boy like the party at Fezziwig’s?
3) Create a menu for the typical Victorian Christmas feast.
4) Describe the typical Victorian Christmas tree, including three of the decorations.
D. Christmas Carol Movies: www.imdb.com
Go to this movie review website and search “A Christmas Carol.” Choose three of the versions and read the reviews. Then explain which one you would choose to watch based on the reviews you just read:
After completed all the questions in parts A-D, go to this site and play the game.
E. Survive Dickens’ London Game: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/multimedia/dickens/