Freedom for District 12 – Speech - Summative Assessment
G – Goal – Convince your fellow district 12 to join a rebellion against the capital.
R - Role – You are a miner from district 12. You were born and raised in District 12. After watching Katniss’s and Peeta’s heroic defiance of the Capital, you have decided to resist
A – Audience – A band of your fellow District 12 citizens. Most of the crowd are average people like you who are simply fed up with the oppressive regime of President Snow.
S – Situation – You have lived in District 12 your whole life and have felt the constricting tyranny of the Capital for too long. You have decided to fight the evil regime and are speaking to a band of your fellow citizens in an attempt to persuade them to join your cause.
P – Product – A typed 300-400 word speech.
S – Standers / Rubrics – You will be graded using a combination of the LHS Argument Rubric and the attached rubric.
You speech should address the following elements:
· How and why Katniss and Peeta defied the Capital.
· How did society in Panem, with its all-powerful Capital and 12 subservient districts develop?
· Explain the various methods the Capital uses to keep its population “in-line”.
· Explain how the Capital keeps citizens from connecting with each other and why those strategies are successful.
· The hardships that the Capital puts on the members of District 12.
· The reasons why you should choose to fight for your freedom.
o You should address the basic human rights in the US Constitution.
· A total of at least 5 in-text citations
· A works cited page
· A catchy title that captures the mood energy
· A cover page that includes the title of the speech, your name, the block, and the date.
· Speech must be typed, in 14 font, and use either Times New Roman or Calibri
*** If you volunteer to present your speech to the class, you will earn 10 extra bonus points on the grade. That is a full letter grade ***