Below are databases that will help you with your project. Some of these databases require log-in and password. These are listed on each computer in the library. Please copy down this information so that you will have it to use at home.
Use the terms like the Gilded Age, your subject's name, robber baron or captains of industry when searching in these databases.
Two Sides of the Coin: Robber Baron or Captain of Industry?
Scenario: The US Mint creates coins to commemorate special people, events and places in our nation's history. Sometimes they are a single coin, other times there is a series of coins. The Mint has decided to release a series of coins commemorating the businessmen of the Gilded Age.
The Controversy: However, this has created some controversy because these people had both positive and negative qualities. Critics of these business men called them "robber barons" while their supporters viewed them as "captains of industry." Which of these sides should they be represented on the ocin? In order to address this issue, you are going to create a double sided coin that represents both sides of their character.
Your role: You will reserach one of the businessmen who will be included in this series and design a double sided coin that can be used in the series. You will also write an explanation of the coin and take a stand on which "side" you think best describes your person.
Audience: First, the Mint and later the American public.
Links to Websites
These websites will can give you more information on your subject. Remember to cite your sources!!
- .edu is a college or university
- .org is a nonprofit organization (may advocate one point of view)
- .gov is a government agency
- .int is an international organization
- .com is a for-profit, commercial organization (may sell products or services)
- .net is a network provider
- .mil is a branch of the military
- .info is a general information site
- ~ is a personal webpage of a student or staff at an educational institution